[Ontbirds]Broad-winged Hawk at Cranberry-Aug.14

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Aug 14 17:39:48 EDT 2004

In the late afternoon of Aug.14 Rayfield Pye conducted an excellent outing
to inform 8 visitors of the successful regeneration programme presently
underway at Cranberry Marsh in southwest Whitby. While there we were witness
to 4 "local" Red-tailed Hawks, 3 Marsh Harriers and a Sharp-shinned Hawk
which insisted on chasing a juvenile Broad-winged Hawk out of the area.. To
my knowledge that would be the first BWH noted this "fall".
On the wetlands we observed 1 Black-crowned Night Heron, 3 Great Blue
Herons, an adult Moorhen, several Marsh Wrens and Hummingbirds, many
E.Kingbirds.

The Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch will be underway as soon as I and my
cohorts decide that a few migrants are coming through-- certainly before
Saturday, Aug.28.

CM is at the foot of Hall's Rd., accessed off Victoria St., 1 block east of
LakeRidge Rd.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby