[Ontbirds]Western Sandpiper at Townsend Sewage Lagoons

Dobos,Rob [Burlington] Rob.Dobos at ec.gc.ca
Sun Aug 15 17:21:23 EDT 2004

Today (Sun. Aug. 15), just before noon, Dave Don and I had a juv.
Western Sandpiper at the Townsend Sewage Lagoons.  It was in the SE cell
with the several hundred other shorebirds.  We tallied 13 shorebird
species here, including the Red-necked Phalarope, 2 White-rumped
Sandpipers, 1 Stilt Sandpiper and 1 juv. Short-billed Dowitcher.  There
were also 8 Bonaparte's Gulls in the NE cell, including one juvenile.

Directions:  From Hamilton, go south on Hwy. 6, continue south past
Hagersville; turn west on Haldimand Reg. Rd. 69 into Townsend.  At the
four-way stop, turn south on Keith Richardson Parkway.  At the road just
before the railway tracks, turn right; the lagoons are about 1 km along
on the north side.  Do not block the entranceway or park in the turning
widening.

Rob Dobos
Dundas, Ont.
Rob.dobos at ec.gc.ca