[Ontbirds]Curlew Sandpiper at Rockpoint

Thomas tthomas at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 17 02:36:19 EDT 2004

Hi,
          Sorry for the late posting, but today August16th at around 4:45
Dave Sked and I were birding the shoreline at Rockpoint P.P. and while we
were trying to get a better look at a single Dunlin, a  group of small
Sandpipers suddenly arrived and landed in front of us. Among this small
mixed flock of Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers was a Curlew Sandpiper in
full Breeding Plumage. When I first saw this big ball of orange with the
naked eye, I didn't know what to make of it (I have never seen a C.
Sandpiper outside of a field guide) so I rushed back to my scope trying to
rifle through my Petersons field guide at the same time, and there it was
Curlew Sandpiper.....unmistakable. The C.Sandpiper was seen at the eastern
end of Rockpoint Beach and east of the wooden lookout tower. The bird was
still there when we left the area at about 5:30 p.m.
         To get to Rockpoint..........Take regional rd.3 east of Dunnville
go through Stromness, and turn right (west) on Rymer rd. then turn left on
Downey rd. and then right on Niece rd. where you will find the Park
entrance. There is a fee to enter the Park.
        Good luck...........Tom Thomas.