[Ontbirds]White Pelican @ Cootes Paradise - Wed.Aug 18

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 23:46:48 EDT 2004

  Hi all!
          Thanks to Cheryl's posting, I was able to zip out to the 'High
Bridge' and observe this bird sitting/roosting in the open on the crown of
Rat Island.  I watched it from 4:15 pm for about 15 minutes, during which
time it untucked its enormous orange bill from under its wing just twice.
Even though the air was quite hazy, I had great looks with my 32X Kowa, of a
very impressive bird.
           On the other side of York Street an Osprey was soaring over
Hamilton Harbour - nice break from painting, caulking and all the myriad
chores of getting our house ready for market.

   Directions - from Oakville take #403 westboud and exit at York
Street(1st. exit after Hwy #6 northbound) and park as soon as you cross the
bridge - there are 'no parking' signs here - walk back a short distance - <
30M -  and you can see the island a little to the right, over the shrubbery.

     Cheers   Maris

Maris Apse - OFO SALES
511 Chamberlain Lane
Oakville ON L6J 6A2