[Ontbirds]stilt sand, Leslie St. Spit, Toronto

Paul Prior onlypnp at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 21 13:47:17 EDT 2004

Spent an hour or so on Leslie Street Spit this am., checking out the
shorebird habitat on the south side of the main road, opposite the entrance
to the yacht club/banding station. Not particularly big numbers but variety
was pleasing:

1 stilt sandpiper
2 Baird's sandpipers
1 least sandpiper
c12 semi-palmated sandpipers
2 semi-palmated plovers
a few killdeer.

An adult and a hatch year peregrine hung about, hassling eachother for a few
entertaining minutes but didn't exactly help the shorebird viewing.

Apologies for not getting 'round to posting that there were 2 adult
(moulting) red knot at the same location last Saturday. The site has some
potential but disturbance may be an issue - while I was there a
sunrise-photographer wandered right down to the water's edge and pushed the
stilt sand (etc.) off. I hope that visiting birders will have a little more
understanding and concern for the birds' abilities to feed in peace.

To get to The Spit follow Leslie St. south from Lakeshore and park at the
base of the street (before it angles sharp right).

Paul Prior, Toronto