[Ontbirds]Am. Avocet at Blenheim Lagoons

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sat Aug 21 15:52:24 EDT 2004

Hi all,
Another AMERICAN AVOCET was in pond 5 this morning at Blenheim sewage
lagoons.  This one still had some colour, and appeared to be a male.  There
was also a dowitcher sp. in the weeds in this cell.
Water is high in the cells.  There is a good variety of shorebirds, though,
in the sprinkler cells at the north end, including  Lesser Yellowlegs, Least
S.P, Semi-palm. S.P., Pectoral S. P., Semi-palm Plover, and a possible
Baird's (not a good view through the sprinklers!).
I could not locate any phalaropes today.  A Red-necked was present earlier
in the week.

Lagoon directions:  Blenheim is located between Chatham and Rondeau
Provincial
Park.  Exit the 401 at what they used to call Hwy. 40, exit 90.
Go south to Blenheim.  At the main street in Blenheim (stop light) turn
right/west.
Go out of Blenheim on this road (old Hwy.3,
now called the Talbot Trail) for approx. 1.5  km.  Turn right (north) on
Lagoon
Rd. (at carwash) and continue north 1 km. to the lagoons.  I remind you that
you should have a permit from the town office (35 Talbot St.) located in
Blenheim.

Blake Mann.
The Mann's
Wallaceburg,