[Ontbirds]Baird's Sandpipers at Townsend sewage lagoons

Norm Murr NORMURR at SYMPATICO.CA
Sun Aug 22 00:26:17 EDT 2004

Good morning birders

 Yesterday (now) Stan Bajurny and I journeyed down to Long Point again and
on the way home we stopped at the Townsend sewage lagoons and among the
hundreds of shorebirds were 5 Baird's and 1 White-rumped Sandpipers along
with 21 Blue-winged Teal and 10 N. Shovelers.
 There appeared to be a small fallout of birds thru-out the area as we found
12 Warbler species, some in good numbers as well as 5 Flycatcher species.

DIRECTIONS
TOWNSEND SEWAGE LAGOONS

On the way down to Long Point on Hwy 6 you will pass through Hagersville and
drive towards Jarvis. Just as you approach the town of Jarvis you will see a
sign indicating "TOWNSEND" at Nanticoke Creek Parkway #69. Turn right here
and drive to the intersection with the stop signs, turn left on Keith
Richardson Parkway and drive past some park ponds on your right. Drive ahead
until you see a small children's shelter (with an air conditioner on it) on
your right at County Rd 14. This is just before you reach the abandoned
railway line (tracks removed). Turn right here onto County Rd 14. and drive
a few hundred yards and you will see a gate and sign indicating that this is
a waste treatment area.. Park well to the side of the road, do not block the
gate. If the gate is open (they are on some weekends) then do not park
directly across from the gate as the larger "Honey Trucks" need the area to
swing into and out of the entrance road.

These lagoons are USUALLY only accessible on the weekend or after 6pm during
the week.

If asked to leave or not enter then please be respectful and comply as it
seems that for now we are being tolerated.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net