[Ontbirds]Presqu'ile and Amherst I. Shorebirds

David Britton brittondavid at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 19:18:04 EDT 2004

I visited both Presqu'ile PP and Amherst Island today looking for
shorebirds.  Presqu'ile was good, Amherst less so.  The highlight was one
Whimbrel in each location.

At Presqu'ile shorebirds were concentrated mostly on exposed mud and algae
along the beach between Beach #3 and the beginning of the Owen Point Trail,
with another small flock right at Owen Point.  The following were observed:

Semipalmated Plover (12)
Killdeer (1 adult)
Spotted Sandpiper(1 adult, 4 juveniles)
Whimbrel (1 adult on Beach #3)
Ruddy Turnstone (2 juveniles at Owen Point)
Sanderling (about 20, all juveniles)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (30, mostly juveniles)
Least Sandpiper (12 mostly juveniles)
Baird's Sandpiper (24)

At Amherst Island I walked out to the spit at the KFN Property.  Shorebird
habitat here is presently limited.  The ponds are full of water with little
exposed mud.  There is a small area of exposed mud and algae along the shore
between the ponds and the spit where all the shorebirds (except the
Whimbrel) were observed.  Lake levels appear to be fairly high and much of
the spit is underwater with little algae buildup along it.  There is some
exposed mud in the marshy area to the west of the spit, but it had not yet
attracted any shorebirds.  The following were observed:

Semipalmated Plover (1 adult)
Killdeer (1 adult)
Spotted Sandpiper(2 juveniles)
Whimbrel (1 adult on on the rocky shoreline at the ponds, flushed
repeatedly, calling loudly)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (7, mostly juveniles)
Least Sandpiper (3 juveniles)
Baird's Sandpiper (2 juveniles)

Also of note was a female Ring-necked Pheasant on Marshall Road south of the
Owl Woods.

PRESQU'ILE PP is located south of Brighton, ON, from Highwy 401, take exit
509 and head south to Brighton.  The park is well signed.  The parking lots
for Beach #3 and the Owen Point Trail are well signed and will be on your
right a short drive from the park gate.

AMHERST ISLAND is located in Lake Ontario east of Kingston. From Highway 401
take exit 593 and head south to the ferry at Milhaven.  Ferries leave for
Amherst I. on the half hour.  The KFN Property is located at the east end of
the island.  From the corner of Lower Rd. and South Shore Rd. (at the SE
corner of the island) enter the KFN Property and follow the shoreline to the
ponds and spit (about a 25 min walk to the spit).

David Britton
Ottawa