[Ontbirds]Cackling & Snow Geese at Coyote Pond

Norm Murr NORMURR at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Oct 9 17:30:42 EDT 2004

Good afternoon all.

Today Stan Bajurny and I got to meet for birding at a decent hour and it
turned out to be a fairly good day birding and weather wise even after the
8:30 or so am monsoon that drove us back into the vehicle.

 When we first arrived at Coyote Pond there were about 300 or so Canada
Geese but no little ones and the 300 or so were soon down to 3 birds and a
Great blue Heron as they and approx. 200 Mallards flew north. After the rain
we went back out and while waiting we saw 1 juvenile Merlin, 2 Cooper's
Hawks, 4 Rusty Blackbirds, a few each of American Pipits and Horned Larks
overhead as well as numerous Robins, Red-winged Blackbirds and Blue Jays
flying past and a half a zillion Mourning Doves.

 We and a few other birders stood around and stood around and stood around
until at last at 11am 10 Cackling Geese flew in and 10 minutes later another
6 arrived. We had good scope views of these birds and then off we went to
browner pastures.

 Not finding much in other places we returned to Coyote Pond around 3:15 in
the afternoon to hopefully find a Snow Goose and  we fell into it and came
out smelling like roses as there was one White Phase snow Goose on the pond
that within 2 or so minutes of our arrival took of and flew north out of
sight.

 While there awaiting a for a friend to catch up to us we observed 4 Eastern
Bluebirds overhead and shortly an adult Merlin flew by. A nice ending to a
leisurely birding day.

Directions to Coyote Pond borrowed from Jean Iron's posting:- Coyote Pond
lies on the north side of Highway 7, 1 km east of  the Ninth Line in
Markham. There's a big blue real estate type sign near where you can pull
off the road to park on the side.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON
NORMURR at SYMPATICO.CA

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net