[Ontbirds]Hudsonian Godwits at Blenheim Lagoons

Blake A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sun Oct 10 15:53:28 EDT 2004

Hi Birders,
Today (Sunday) I spotted two Hudsonian Godwits in flight with other
shorebirds including Long-billed Dowitchers and Dunlin at the lagoons.  (A
Hudsonian was reported yesterday also).  It was a tight flock of several
birds, but sizes of birds were obvious.  I did not see where the bulk of the
flock landed though.  Yesterday was too windy to keep a scope up, but I did
see several Long-billed Dowitchers with Stilt Sandpipers and Dunlin.  There
was also an Osprey at the lagoons today, leaving with food.
Back at Rondeau Park, large numbers of birds were evident.  Up to 12 species
of warblers, all the usual sparrows including my first Fox of the season,
and many kinglets.  Large numbers of Pine Siskins were circling about.  Only
one Purple Finch so far.  A Scarlet Tanager out marsh trail was nice to see
also.

Lagoon directions:  Blenheim is located between Chatham and Rondeau
Provincial
Park.  Exit the 401 at what they used to call Hwy. 40, exit 90.
Go south to Blenheim.  At the main street in Blenheim (stop light) turn
right/west.
Go out of Blenheim on this road (old Hwy.3,
now called the Talbot Trail) for approx. 1.5  km.  Turn right (north) on
Lagoon
Rd. (at carwash) and continue north 1 km. to the lagoons.  I remind you that
you should have a permit from the town office (35 Talbot St.) located in
Blenheim.

Blake Mann
The Mann's
Wallaceburg,