[Ontbirds]LAUGHING GULL at Hillman Marsh

Randy Horvath jeogwonja at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 30 16:48:17 EDT 2004

G'day. After failing to find any rarities at Point Pelee this morning, I played a hunch and went to Hillman Marsh. At 2:30 p.m., as my brother Robert and I walked the path toward the beginning of the Hillman Trail, I spotted a 1st winter Laughing Gull on the water right beside us. We watched it for about 15 minutes before it took wing and flew off. However, while Robert went to investigate the baited area, the Laughing Gull returned. I watched it flying around the front end of the marsh and it eventually settled back on the water near a raft of Ring-billed Gulls not far from the Welcome Centre. It was still present when we left at 3:30, after terrific looks at it in the scope.

Hillman Marsh is a short drive east of Leamington and northeast of Pelee and is easy to find by following the signs.

Randy Horvath, Windsor

jeogwonja at yahoo.ca