[Ontbirds]Niagara Falls: Harlequin Duck

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 30 03:59:59 EST 2004

Hi Everyone
    Had a great 3 day weekend (Nov.27 to 29) birding the Niagara Region. Saw many of the highlights including the Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird on Nov.28, California Gull on Nov.28 & 29, Black-legged Kittiwake Nov.27, Little Gull at Queenston Nov.28,  numerous Lesser Black-backed Gulls and the Eurasian Teal on Nov.28.
    The land bird watching was very good with 3 Tufted Titmice & 2 Red-bellied Wdpk at Chippawa, 5 Carolina Wren at Queenston, 4 Red-bellied Wdpk at Niagara-on-the-Lake.
    This morning, Nov.29, before leaving we observed a female Harlequin Duck below the control dam feeding in a large flock of Common Goldeneye and resting on a rock. On Nov.28, this area was under water with no exposed rocks.
    The Golden-crowned Sparrow was still present near Ajax, we waited  about 20 minutes for it to come out to feed. There was also a Northern Shrike nearby. Counted 91 Red-tailed Hawks along the highway between Stoney Creek and Belleville!
                                                good birding
                                                    Bruce

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive