[Ontbirds]great gray owls - thickson's woods

kathryn.mills at sympatico.ca kathryn.mills at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 2 19:31:19 EST 2005

My sister and I braved the pouring rain today at Thickson's Woods and
were rewarded with four great gray owls and no pesky photographers
(except me, of course, and I stayed a respectable distance away and have
the lousy photos to prove it). One owl was sitting on a bird house in
the meadow periodically shaking the water off its feathers and grooming
itself. Went to investigate what two other observers were looking at on
the west side of Thickson Road near the parking area/turnaround and got
three more. Watched one of them swoop down from a short evergreen tree
and then fly away with a small rodent. Also heard one of the great
horned owls calling in the woods.

Thickson's Woods is in Whitby, Ont. Take the 401 to Thickson Road and
then drive south to the Waterfront Trail. The woods and meadow are on
the east side of the road.
Kathryn Mills
Toronto
kathryn.mills at sympatico.ca