[Ontbirds] sunny day = for Great Grays on Hall's Rd., be there before 7:30a.m.--Feb.18

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Fri Feb 18 10:53:36 EST 2005

IF YOU WISH TO SEE THE OWLS ON  THE WEEKEND-- YOU MUST BE ON HALL'S RD. AT
SUNUP; I WILL NOT GUARANTEE SUNDOWN, BUT WHO KNOWS?
I do believe there are as many as 7 GGOs in the area, and 2 Barred Owls.

On Friday the following occurred along Hall's Rd. between 6:45 and
7:45a.m.-- then the owls retreated :
1) as I drove down the road at 6:45a.m. I saw 3 Great Grays on branches
suspended over the roadway
2) a Barred Owl was perched on CLOCA's signboard at the north path entry
3) by the time I had gone down to the lake and back, all of the
aforementioned had "flown the coop"; I was told that a GGO had chased the BO
away, and that another BO was seen alongside the road.
4) at 7:15a.m. a GGO flew from the west onto a Hall's Rd. tree branch-- he
remained for 5 minutes before going off to land in the field to the west; at
7:20a.m. he did a brief fly-around, thence flying low past me into the treed
woods.

Bitterly cool, windy, very sunny--by 10:00a.m. I packed it in.

>From the west exit the 401 at Salem Rd. (east of Westney), in Ajax, south to
Bayly, east through Lake Ridge Rd. to the first street (Hall's Rd.)- south
toward the lake. Another possibility is to go down Lake Ridge itself.
>From the east, exit the 401 at Brock St. (Whitby), south to Victoria St.,
west over to Hall's Rd.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby