[Ontbirds]Great Gray; Long Eared, & Boreal Owls On Amherst Island

paul otoole otoole at ihorizons.net
Mon Feb 28 22:28:21 EST 2005

On Saturday 26th Feb aroung mid afternoon I located three owl species in
the owl woods area. A GGO; LLO, & BO within about an hour. Lots of other
birders from Toronto; Ottawa; Quebec, & our neighbours to the south.

Paul O'Toole

  Amherst Island is 16 km west of Kingston. Take exit # 593 from Highway
401, proceed south on County Road #4 (formerly Highway 133) to Millhaven
on Lake Ontario - the ferry dock is 200m west on Hwy 33 (Bath Road). A
round_trip costs $5.00. The ferry leaves every hour on the half hour
from 6:30 am onward.

To get to the "Owl Woods" after getting off the ferry:  When you get off
the ferry and drive up to the stop sign, proceed straight through on
Stella Forty-foot Rd., to the south end, at the lake.  Turn left, and
drive to the intersection of the Marshall forty-foot Rd. (immediately
east of 2090 South Shore Road).  Proceed 1.3 km north to the S-curve.
Walk north-east on the trails.