[Ontbirds]Ottawa Birds

Bruce Ripley ripley at kingston.net
Sun Mar 6 20:07:53 EST 2005

    A group of KFN members went to Ottawa today in search of some of the
local specialties.  Our first stop produced 12 GRAY PARTRIDGE.  Our next
stop was for the TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, but the heavy snowfall made the
search difficult and we were not able to locate it.  At the Tennis Club we
found the hybrid BARROW'S/COMMON GOLDENEYE and a WOOD DUCK.  Next we drove
downtown and observed a PEREGRINE FALCON at the top of one of the buildings.
The NORTHERN HAWK OWL was still at the location in Gatineau where it has
been for quite some time.  At Remic's Rapids we found 2 BARROW'S GOLDENEYES
and along March Valley Road we had great looks at one of two GREAT GRAY
OWLS.  Other birds of note include 1 COOPER'S HAWK, 1 GREATER SCAUP, 2 WILD
TURKEYS, 2 NORTHERN SHRIKES, 1 AMERICAN ROBIN and 1 GLAUCOUS GULL.  We also
enjoyed looking at a seemingly tame SNOWSHOE HARE  and a PORCUPINE was also
spotted.
     Many thanks to Bernie Ladouceur and Chris Traynor for taking time to
help make this a successful birding day.

Good Birding
Bruce Ripley
613-384-6392

GRAY PARTRIDGE - off the 416 exit 57 at Bankfield and take Bankfield (#8)
west about 1km to Moodie. Turn north on to Moodie and pull over....scan the
field on the right (east side). They should be near the small windmill.  The
adjacent fields can also have some.

TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE - From west of Ottawa, take Hwy 417 east to the 417/174
split, proceed on 174
and exit at Blair Rd. From the east, take 174 to the Blair exit as well. Go
north on Blair, then right (east) on Ogilvie Rd. Cross Montreal Rd. and
continue left (north) on Ogilvie, then take the 1st left (west) onto Naskapi
Dr.  Follow Naskapi which becomes Rothwell Dr. as you head northwest.
Coxford St. is a very short street that runs between Wick Cr. and Wren Rd.
Please park on either Wick or Wren to prevent blocking laneways, and please
DO NOT ENTER PRIVATE PROPERTY.

To get to the Tennis Club, exit off 417 onto Vanier and go north to Donald
St. and turn left and drive to the end.

BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - The Champlain Bridge parking lot can be
reached by taking Parkdale Ave. north from Hwy. 417 in Ottawa to the Western
Parkway. Follow parkway west passed Remic Rapids Lookout and continue west
towards Island Park Drive. Just before the lights at Island Park Drive there
is a parking area on your right.  Park and walk east along bike path to
Remic Rapids.

NORTHERN HAWK OWL is still in its favourite location at ski trails # 29 and
#5 in Gatineau Park.

GREAT GRAY OWLS - From Ottawa travel west bound on Hwy. 417 to the March
Rd./Eagleson Road and exit right onto March Rd. Follow to Klondike Road and
turn right. Go east to March Valley Road and turn left or right. Follow
along making numerous stops scanning the fields.

PEREGRINE FALCON - southeast corner of the Crowne Plaza Hotel