[Ontbirds]Yellow Warbler, N. Waterthrush Whitby/Oshawa.

Ian Cannell cannell at rogers.com
Tue Apr 26 15:17:49 EDT 2005

Stops at Lynde Shores, Cranberry Marsh, Thickson Woods and Second Marsh this
morning yielded a few new "firsts" for the spring, for Jay Peterson and me.
At Thickson Woods we had Yellow-rumped and Pine Warblers and a Northern
Waterthrush (heard first by Jim Fairchild). Also Hermit Thrushes,
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Great Horned Owl and Winter and House Wrens.
Ruby-crowned Kinglets were plentiful.

At Lynde Shores we added both a Blue-headed and a Warbling Vireo and a
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

Second Marsh provided our first Yellow Warbler and a Palm Warbler, plus
Mockingbird and Common Terns.
We didn't see any Little Gulls.
Ducks included:  Both Green-winged and Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler,
Gadwall, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead and American Coot.
(We'd had Ruddy Duck at Cranberry Marsh).
Sparrows: Field, Savannah, Swamp, White-throated, Song, House, Tree,
Chipping.

Directions:
For Thickson Woods:
>From the 401 in Whitby exit Thickson Road south to the
waterfront trail. Park along north side of waterfront trail opposite woods.

For Second Marsh:
>From Hwy 401 east side of Oshawa, take Exit 419 (Farwell St.) south to
Colonel Sam Dr. Turn left - take it nearly to its end.  Turn right into the
General Motors parking lot just before the GM Canada Head Office
building. Go straight ahead to the far side of the parking lot.

For Lynde Shores & Cranberry Marsh:
Exit 401 at Salem (in Ajax), south to Bayly, east through
Lakeridge Rd. to the first street (Hall's Rd.), for Cranberry Marsh.
Lynde Shores Conservation area is just a little east of Hall's Road, on the
south side.