[Ontbirds]Britannia Owlets - Correction

Ott User willott123 at sympatico.ca
Mon May 2 16:49:08 EDT 2005

>From my understanding, the surviving owlet had not been seen for a few days
leading to some speculation about its whereabouts.  However, it was found
again yesterday, Sunday, May 1st, 2005.  A birder/photographer was kind
enough to show me where it was perched.  It was located along one of the
trails running along the fence and houses on the side where Britannia road
is.  It was perched in a tree right by the road.  It was perched in that
location for the whole afternoon and was still there when I left late in the
day (6-7pm).  Quite a few birders/photographers were there watching it as
the owlet was not too high up in the tree and the sunlight lit up the owlet
nicely from the front offering a really good view.  The mother owl (from
what some were saying) was located in a tall tree within eyesight of where
the owlet was perched.

The weather was not so great today (Monday, May 2nd) but the owlet was found
once again along the same trail that runs along the fence/houses area on the
side where Britannia road is.  This time the owlet was located further in
and perched much higher up than on Sunday but could still be seen easily
once spotted.

Unfortunately, the other owlet....the one that had died...is still slumped
in the same tree where the nest is (actually only a few feet from the nest)
located.  From people I have talked to, it was slumped on that same branch
since last Monday or Tuesday.  Someone had taken a photo of it (last
Tuesday?) with its eyes still open, slumped in the relatively same position
you would see it today.  I suppose nature will eventually take its
course....as it does with all things expired.  But the good news is the
other owlet seems to be doing good.  During the time I was watching it, the
owlet dropped whitewash about 3 times so I'm assuming it's eating well.