[Ontbirds].Neotropic Cormorant

Alan Wormington wormington at juno.com
Tue May 3 22:20:37 EDT 2005

Everyone,

I can't predict what might happen tomorrow, but I can provide an
assessment of what has happened.

After the bird was reported heading towards Hillman Marsh, at least 25
people descended on the area where we searched everywhere, including the
Coutoure Dike area where birds often roost in the trees.  But no luck.

But we also noticed that many birds were leaving Hillman Marsh and
heading further south.  Just for your interest, thousands of cormorants
routinely roost overnight in the Pelee Marsh at West Cranberry Pond.
Since we could not find the bird at Hillman Marsh, it most likely
continued on to West Cranberry Pond for the rest of the day.

The only question for tomorrow is, after the bird leaves West Cranberry
Pond will it return at some point to Wheatley Harbour?

Observers at the Tip should carefully examine flocks of flyby cormorants,
as it should be relatively easy to pick out the Neotropic due to its
small size.

Alan