[Ontbirds]Yellow Rail at Carden Alvar north of Kirkfield

Norman Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Tue May 3 22:54:49 EDT 2005

Hello Ontbirders

 This evening Frank Pinilla and I went up to the Kirkfield area after work
and besides it being March weather it was also fairly quiet along Wylie Road
and at the Sedge Wren Marsh but we did get to hear a Yellow Rail ticking
about 100 feet beyond the bridge and on the left (west) side of the road.
just before dusk. Only a few Swamp Sparrows singing and 2 large adult
Beavers caught our attention and a few Spring Peepers as well. Just before
arriving at the marsh we stopped at Bluebird/Tree Swallow box #10 Just south
of the Sedge Wren Marsh and found the Loggerhead Shrike perched on a dead
branch.

 After leaving the Yellow Rail we drove over to Prospect Road Marsh and
found (heard and saw) 5 Virginia Rails and at least 7 Wilson's Snipe both in
courting flights and making small sounds right beside the road with many
Spring Peepers filling in the chorus with the 4 Rails. At the start of
Prospect road near Hwy 48 we stopped near a puddle in a field that contained
13 Greater Yellowlegs busy feeding.

DIRECTIONS

WYLIE RD / SEDGE WREN MARSH / PROSPECT RD
Wylie Road is north of Kirkfield in Victoria County and Kirkfield itself is
on County Road 48 east of Highway 12 and well north of Whitby and about 130
km from Toronto if you follow the roads and not a Crow.

>From the centre of Kirkfield go north on County Road 6 passing under the
Lift Lock on the Trent Canal and drive about 2 ½ km further north to where
the road curves left or west. On this curve and on your right is McNamee Rd,
turn right here onto McNamee and drive east for about 300 yards and you will
be at Wylie Road.

The Sedge Wren Marsh is about 5 ½ km north on Wylie Road, you can't miss it
as it has the only bridge along the road. Park just to the south of and
overlooking the bridge and walk to the bridge and marsh.  DO NOT Park On The
Bridge.

 Prospect Road is about 4km west of Kirkfield along Cty Rd 48 on the south
side of the highway. The marsh areas are 1km and 3 km down this road.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON

NORMURR at SYMPATICO.CA

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net