[Ontbirds]birder needed for Atlas trip to Sachigo Lake

Patrick C. Hodgson hadu at sympatico.ca
Sat May 7 10:17:17 EDT 2005

Dear Ontbirders,

Here is your chance to go birding in a very remote and unspoiled part of
Ontario's north!  We are looking for one more adventurous birder to join 5
others (on a volunteer basis) for an Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas canoe trip
to the area of Sachigo Lake, Ontario.  This area is in the boreal forest
wilderness far north of roads and logging, along the Ontario/Manitoba border
where it is angled from southwest to northeast.  Ideally the person would be
capable of doing point counts in the north, but this is not strictly
essential.  Skills related to camping and canoeing in very remote areas are
essential, however.  You must be in good shape and capable of significant
and strenuous off-trail hiking.  We will travel from camp to camp by canoe
but for atlassing need to walk through the forest (and bog) away from lake
and river shores as well.  Also ... some tolerance for insect life is
necessary.

The Atlas is paying for canoe rentals and flights from Pickle Lake to where
our trip will be going.  Participants provide their own camping gear, food,
and transportation to Pickle Lake.  (I plan on driving and can take others
with me.) Our tentative dates for the flights from/to Pickle Lake are June
13-27, and one should allow two days each way driving from southern
Ontario>to Pickle Lake.

Please reply to me or Mike Cadman (mcadman AT uoguelph.ca) if you are
interested in this trip.

Thank you,

Pat Hodgson
pat.hodgson AT sympatico.ca