[Ontbirds]Eastern Ontario: Recent Bird Observations

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 1 13:37:34 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone
    The Red-headed Woodpeckers are breeding for the 4th consecutive summer
at the "old burn site" at Constance Bay. I saw them yesterday, June 30th.,
this is the same location that 2 adult Red-heads successfully spent last
winter. Today, July 1st I saw 2 adult Caspian Tern along the Ottawa River
west of Constance Bay near the ferry dock at Quyon.
    Back on June 25th I recorded 10 species of sparrows in the Ottawa area
including 3 Lincoln's at the Mer Blue Boardwalk, 3 Grasshopper along Leitrim
Road and 8 Clay-coloured Sparrow near Riceville. Also present at the Mer
Blue was a singing male Palm Warbler.
    On June 26th  at Alfred Sewage Lagoon and a number of adult southbound
shorebirds were noted including 12  Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Solitary Sandpiper
and 1 Least Sandpiper. The Ruddy Duck population is doing well at the
eastern lagoons with a total of 39 adults and a female with 5 downy young at
Alfred.
                                                    Happy Canada Day
                                                               Bruce

Directions: Red-headed Wdpk:From Ottawa travel west bound on Hwy. 417 to the
March
Rd./Eagleson Road and exit right onto March Rd. Follow to Dunrobin Road and
turn right  continuing northwest  through Woodlawn. At the hill turn right
onto Constance Bay Rd following it for approx. 1.5 km. Turn left on Allbirch
Road and drive 1.3 km to the " T "  intersection. Turn left on Bishop Davis
Drive and then right on Bayview Drive.  Follow Bayview Drive to Ritchie St.
Turn right and go a short distance to Whistler Rd. Turn left and drive .3 km
and watch for a gate on the right. The trail through the burn area is
opposite the gate. Parking is limited.The old burn area is on your left.
There is an abundance of Poison Ivy in the burn area. It is recommended to
stay on the trails.
   Alfred Lagoon: From the town of Alfred go east on Highway 17, then turn
south on Peat Moss Road and drive for 2 km. The lagoons are on your left
(east side of road). Contact Richard Villeneuve, Township of Alfred and
Plantagenet at (613) 679-2292 for the required permit to enter the lagoons
    If you require additional information , please email me privately.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario,K0A 1L0