[Ontbirds]White Pelican at West Brothers Island, Kingston

Weseloh,Chip [Ontario] Chip.Weseloh at ec.gc.ca
Sun Jul 3 09:14:57 EDT 2005

This morning,  while checking cormorant colonies in the Kingston area, I found an adult American White Pelican on the west end of West Brothers Island. It still had the knob on the upper surface of its bill. It was present on the island or nearby water from 7:44 to when I left at 820. Although I saw it from a boat and when I landed on the island, it should be visible from Bath Road with a scope.

Directions: From Hwy 401, go south at the  Sir John A. McDonald Blvd Exit to Bath Rd. Go right (west) on Bath Rd past the community of Collins Bay. Once past Collins Bay, where the road heads due west following the shore of Lake Ontario (as opposed to Collins Bay), watch for three islands in Lake Ontario on your left. West Brothers is the right-hand most......devoid of nearly all trees and vegetation and appearing very "white" from cormorant guano. The pelican was staying on the right-hand end of the island among the many cormorants there.

Good Luck

Chip Weseloh