[Ontbirds]Indigo Bunting, Palm Warblers, yellowthroats, oh my!

Jon Pleizier jpleizie at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jul 6 13:14:54 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I toured the Mer Bleu area in Ottawa this morning with a few interesting finds.
Along the boardwalk(and area) were COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, a PALM WARBLER with 1
offspring, a THRASHER, a male BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER, a male BALTIMORE ORIOLE,
and at least 2 HERMIT THRUSHES could be heard. I then walked a trail off of
Anderson Rd and found many more yellowthroats, 3 RED-EYED VIREOS, many EASTERN
WOOD PEEWEES, YELLOW WABLERS, a male HARRIER, and a male INDIGO BUNTING. VEERY
could also be heard. The bunting was singing atop a leafless tree. I watched it
for fifteen minutes were it sat contentedly even after being chased by a peewee.
Happy Birding All,

Jon Pleizier
(613) 835-2293
Ottawa
University of Guelph

>From HWy 417 exit onto Walkley Rd and turn left(if travelling eastbound). Follow
the road around the sharp cornerand up the hill and turn left at the top of the
hill. Follow until the yellow flashing light at Anderson intersection and turn
left unless going to the boardwalk(then go straight). Follow Anderson unitl the
hill past the parking lot to the left and walk the trail at the bottom of the
hill on the left side of the road. Keep to the right until you reach a grassy
meadowlike area. I saw the bunting on the trail to the left at the meadow in a
leafless tree on the right side of the trail on the hill. Good luck!