[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, July 7th, 2005

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jul 7 19:35:54 EDT 2005

At 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 7th, 2005 this is the HNC birding report:

DARK-EYED JUNCO
DICKCISSEL

Red-necked Grebe
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Phalarope
Black-billed Cuckoo
Eastern Screech Owl
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Cedar Waxwing
Common Yellowthroat
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Meadowlark

Well its been a nice little break but it appears that we have turned the
corner with the shorebirds and some are on their way back.  Several species
of shorebirds have been reported in the week.  Last Sunday at Grimsby, a
Semipalmated Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher and juv. Wilson's Phalarope
were all reported from Winona Sewage Lagoons.  The Phalarope disappeared
that day.  Today, at the storm drainage ponds at Guelph Line and North
Service Road (termed Congestion Ponds) Short-billed Dowitchers, Greater
Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs and Least Sandpiper were seen today.  This is
an excellent mud flat and is worth checking periodically since habitat is
very little in the HSA.  Least Sandpipers were seen at Smithville Sewage
Lagoons and at Tollgate Ponds.  Also reported today was a Solitary Sandpiper
at Crieff Bog.

The surprise of the week was a DARK-EYED JUNCO seen at a yard in Canboro.  A
good record for this time of the year, hopefully not predicting an early
winter!!!! Our other visitor the DICKCISSEL was last reported on Sunday.

Ducks at Windermere Basin this week included Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead,
Green-winged Teal and Redhead. The Red-necked Grebes continue to be present
at Bronte Harbour but a pair are also nesting in the marsh.

At Courtcliffe Park in Carlisle this week Eastern Bluebird, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, Common Yellowthroat, Indigo Bunting and Eastern Meadowlark were
reported in the week.

In the odds and sods department a number of Black-billed Cuckoos were heard
in the Middletown Road and 5th Concession area, a family of Eastern Screech
Owls were reported from the Rock Chapel area and this week on my home turf,
I rescued two Cedar Waxwing babies who fell out of my tree, put them back in
nest and they have now disappeared into the higher limbs of our maple still
being fed by the adults.  A great show to watch.

That's the news for this week.  Keep your eyes and bins on those shorebirds,
you never know what will drop in for the night.

Good birding,
Cheryl Edgecombe
905-381-0329
HNC Hotline