[Ontbirds]Shorebirds at Mitchell Sewage Lagoons

Tracey&Dave Brown thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca
Tue Aug 2 12:11:08 EDT 2005

Hi All,

With the lack of rainfall in the West Perth County region over the last couple of months, the Mitchell sewage lagoons are at their lowest level in the last few years.  The shorebird habitat is excellent in 2 of the 3 main cells and with the raised berms and cut pathways...access for viewing is very easy.  These lagoons are being incorporated into the new West-Perth Nature Trail system, and are fully accessible to the public.

I had several species of shorebirds, including:

RED-NECKED PHALAROPE - 1 Adult (molting into Basic - seen over the last 2 days in driest cell on the left)
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER - 2 Juvenile
Spotted Sandpiper - 20+
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1 Juvenile
Semi-P Sandpiper - 10+
Least Sandpiper - 30+
Lesser Yellowlegs - 50+
Greater Yellowlegs - 6
Semi-P Plover - 5
Killdeer - lots

Other notable birds....

BOBOLINK - 7
CLIFF SWALLOW - 3
N. ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW - 1

I'm hoping to get back out there again today to check if the Phalarope is still around.  I'll post again if this is the case.

Directions:
>From the East (T.O., Guelph, KW) - take Hwy 8 thru Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind the ball diamond and soccer fields.

There's lots of parking at the fields.