[Ontbirds]Peregrine Falcon and Purple Finch - Windsor, Ont

Matthew Baker mattbaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 15:42:16 EDT 2005

Greetings, y'all...

At about 3pm today (thursday, august 4), there was a male PURPLE FINCH along
the ganatchio trail just west of the southern offshoot of the trail, which
is just west of Florence Street (the first stoplight east of Riverdale).
There is a house with 2 big garage's on the north side (river side) of
Riverside Drive. The bird was last seen on a wooden sign frame in front of
that house.

google map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=windsor,+ontario&ll=42.336984,-82.920760&spn=0.005643,0.010050&t=h&hl=en

THEN, about 2 minutes later as we continued west on the trail, there was a
PEREGRINE FALCON soaring overhead. The bird wasn't hunting, but just
enjoying the strong southwest winds. We followed it as it soared west on our
bikes over Little River, through the apartment buildings, and down Riverside
Drive. It appeared to be an adult, but looked like it had a brown tinge to
it.

google map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=windsor,+ontario&ll=42.337991,-82.928656&spn=0.005643,0.010050&t=h&hl=en

Perhaps the finch would stay around that same location, but the falcon most
likely moved on.

Looking foward to tonights cold front,

-Matt Baker