[Ontbirds]BOS Shorebird Trip Report (late)

Michael Hamilton mhsr at wzrd.com
Fri Aug 5 12:26:43 EDT 2005

   On July 31 fifteen of us checked out shorebird habitat along the north
shore of Lake Erie from Fort Erie to Rock Point Provincial Park with stops
at Rose Hill, Stonemill and Prospect Point S. Roads, Morgan's Point, Rock
Point and the sod farms along Canal Bank Rd. Our search was aided by lower
lake levels this year exposing more feeding area for shorebirds.
   Our most productive stop was at Rock Point where there were good
shorebird numbers including 12 species: Baird's (2, spotted by Jim
Pawlicki), Least, Semipalmated, Pectoral, and Spotted Sandpipers; Rudy
Turnstones (2), Sanderlings, Short-billed Dowitchers (3), Lesser Yellowlegs,
Killdeers, Semipalmated Plovers and one Black-bellied Plover. Five more
Black-bellies were seen at one of the few remaining sod farms along Canal
Bank Rd. (most of the former sod fields have been converted to growing soy
beans and the few remaining sod fields along the south side of Poth Rd. are
brown).
   A breeding plumaged Bonaparte's Gull was noted at Stonemill Rd., 2
Caspian Terns (one with a fish) and a Cedar Waxwing at Morgan's Point, a
Belted Kingfisher near Port Maitland and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak along the
way.

Respectfully submitted,

Mike Hamilton