[Ontbirds]Red-necked Phalarope

mike pickup mpickup at bmts.com
Fri Aug 5 18:08:38 EDT 2005

Fred Jazvac, Margaret Anderton and myself made a trip to Mitchell today to
look for the Red -necked Phalarope. We located the bird at approximately
10:00pm this morning in the second pond on the left as you walk in.
Other shorebirds present were
-Semipalmated Plover
- Killdeer
- Greater Yellowlegs
- Lesser Yellowlegs
- Solitary Sandpiper
- Spotted Sandpiper
- Baird's Sandpiper
- Least Sandpiper

Directions:
>From the East (T.O., Guelph, KW) - take Hwy 8 thru Stratford heading west
to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and turn left (south) and
continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the ball diamond.  Lagoon
cells are straight back behind the ball diamond and soccer fields and the
sewage treatment plant.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and just
after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank St...go
right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to the ball
diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind the ball
diamond and soccer fields.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to Clinton
and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn left on
Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which will be on
your right). Walk down the side of the soccer fields to the lagoons behind.

There's lots of parking at the fields.

Yours in birding
Mike Pickup mpickup at bmts.com