[Ontbirds]OFO Lake Erie Shore Field Trip

Willie D'Anna & Betsy Potter dannapotter at wzrd.com
Sat Aug 6 21:24:05 EDT 2005

Today (Saturday) 14 birders joined Betsy and me for some great weather and
birding in a tranquil and beautiful place - the Lake Erie shore of Ontario.
The trip convened at Rock Point Provincial Park, south of Dunnville, and hit
several spots between there and Fort Erie.  As expected, Rock Point was the
most productive for shorebirds with 10 species including 3 SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHERS, 2 RUDDY TURNSTONES, and a SANDERLING.  SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS
were the most common bird here as well as at every other stop along the
shore.  On the rocks around the shorebirds were BONAPARTE'S GULLS, 2
LONG-TAILED DUCKS, and a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER.  Flying over were lots of
swallows, including one CLIFF.  In the trees along the shore at Rock Point
we had good numbers of songbirds but all birds that could have bred in the
area.  Among them were BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, a CUCKOO, TRAIL'S FLYCATCHER
(Willow or Alder), and numerous BALTIMORE ORIOLES and YELLOW WARBLERS.
After Rock Point we headed inland slightly to the turf farms along Canal
Bank and Poth Roads.  Along Canal Bank Rd, we added Horned Larks, at least
10 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, and a distant-in-the-heat-shimmer WHIMBREL, about
which someone remarked was probably the worst look they ever had at that
species!  I couldn't argue the point and quietly wrote down that person's
name in my little black book.  Poth Rd added more Horned Larks and over a
hundred Killdeer.

Our next stop was Morgan's Point, just southeast of the hamlet of Burnaby.
8 COMMON MERGANSERS were new but other than lots of gulls, there was little
on the shore.  We ate lunch at the park adjacent to the point and added a
few more songbirds including one unidentified warbler, probably a BAYPOLL
(Blackpoll or Bay-breasted) from the sounds of the description, and a
CAROLINA WREN.  We continued east, stopping at several more points along the
shore and although we saw quite a few more shorebirds, we were unable to add
any new shorebird species.  There was still quite a bit to look at and among
the many new species seen, we added 15 more COMMON MERGANSERS at the foot of
Stonemill Rd as well as a GREEN-WINGED TEAL and a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH at
the foot of Buffalo Rd.  Our list topped out at 73 species.  This was a
competent and fun group.  Thanks to all for a great day!

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter