[Ontbirds]Red Knot at Mitchell Sewage Lagoons

Dobos,Rob [Burlington] Rob.Dobos at ec.gc.ca
Sun Aug 7 21:07:47 EDT 2005

This morning (August 7) Cheryl Edgecombe and I had an adult Red Knot at
the Mitchell Sewage Lagoons.  It was still pretty much in alternate
plumage, so quite a fine sight.  It was in the cell on your right side
when walking in (the westernmost cell), on one of the islands in the
centre.  There is excellent habitat in all five cells at these lagoons,
with several hundred shorebirds of 11 species, although we did not see
the Red-necked Phalarope previously reported, nor any Baird's Sandpipers
or dowitchers.

We also made stops at other sewage lagoons in the area, and the Grand
Bend lagoons also have excellent shorebird habitat in the third cell
with hundreds of shorebirds there but rather low diversity and nothing
out of the ordinary.

Cheers,

Rob Dobos
Dundas, Ont.
Rob.dobos at ec.gc.ca

Directions to Mitchell Lagoons:
>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru
Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the
ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond
and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and
just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank
St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to
the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind
the ball diamond and soccer fields.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to
Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn
left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which
will be on your right). Walk down the side of the soccer fields to the
lagoons behind.