[Ontbirds]Western Sandpiper - Rock Point PP

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:12:33 EDT 2005

Hi all !
    Yesterday, after moving my daughter Emily's furniture to St.Catherines
and noting that there was a fairly brisk west wind, we drove down to Fort
Erie.  Driving west we did not see not much of interest at any of our stops
until we got closer to RPPP, although there was a fairly good variety of
shorebirds on most algae mattted sections of beach or shelf(eg Morgan's
Point).   There was a major concentration was at the park and not an
accurate count altogether we noted -

      Black-bellied Plover - 1
      Semipalmated Plover ~ 15
      Killdeer ~ 12
      Greater yellowlegs - 2
      Lesser Yellowlegs  ~ 8
      Ruddy Turnstone - 3
      Red Knot ~ 10
      Sanderling ~ 40
      Semipalmated Sandpiper ~ 8
      Western Sandpiper - 1
      Least sandpiper ~ 30
      White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
      Baird's Sandpiper - 5
      Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
      Short-billed Dowitcher ~ 8

  We saw only a few of the usual gulls and terns and very few passerines,
though Emi saw a Dark-eyed Junco - I dismissed it as "too early" - until
reading the Ontbirds postings to-day.

Cheers!    Maris

  Maris Apse - OFO SALES
10094 Red Pine Road, Box 22,