[Ontbirds]Highlights Presqu'ile 9/2 to 9/4

Gerard Phillips gphillips at istar.ca
Mon Sep 5 16:36:01 EDT 2005

Brenda Carter and I enjoyed two and a half days sketching/birding Friday
9/2, Saturday 9/3 and most of Sunday 9/4. We were treated to some great
views of shorebirds, ducks and terns at Owen Point where we spent the
majority of our time.

Birds of interest at Owen Point were:

2 basic Horned Grebes, calm conditions on 9/4 finally allowed one to see
birds very far out on the water.
1 alternate Long-tailed Duck (alive on gravel bar on the evening of 9/3, but
was dead there the next morning).
1 juv. LAUGHING GULL (bathing late in the evening on 9/2, it quickly dried
off and flew south over the Lake- despite the strong wind & fading light we
were able to get some bad but clearly identifiable photos).
2 juv. American Golden Plovers (singles on 9/3 and 9/4).

7 Whimbrel (a pair and two singles 9/2, a flock of three late evening 9/3).
1 juv-1st basic WESTERN SANDPIPER (identified on 9/3 having not seen a
likely candidate all day on 9/2).
2 juv Short-billed Dowitchers (arrived late evening 9/3)

I juv/1st yr Lapland Longspur (found with 8+ American Pipits foraging on
algae in front of viewing area on 9/4).

Many thanks to Don, Fred, Bill, Mike and others.

Good birding,

Gerard and Brenda.

Merrickville,
Ontario.