[Ontbirds] Great Egret, Palm Warbler, many Hummingbirds, 23 raptors at Cranberry-Sep.11

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 11 16:39:13 EDT 2005

I was happy to meet a great number of birders on this sunny, light-south
winds day at the Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch in southwest Whitby.

I HAVE A PLEA TO RAPTOR OBSERVERS FOR THE SEP.17-18 WEEKEND--I SHALL BE
ABSENT--I DO ASK THAT HOURLY DATA BE KEPT ON THE WHITE PAGES IN THE
LOCKED-BOX; IF YOU HAVE NO ACCESS USE THE YELLOW PAGES IN THE WHITE
LETTER-BOX. MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOU DO NOT WALK OFF WITH THE PAGE. I WILL
COLLECT ALL PAGES ON WEDNESDAY, SEP.21.

Along the path and at the platform--at least 200 Hummingbirds over 5 hours;
at least 200 Monarchs. On the east side of the wetland--2 Great Egret.
Songbirds--Rose-breasted Grosbeak, C.Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler, Marsh Wren,
White-throated Sparrow, etc.

Migrating raptors (23)--11 Turkey Vulture, 3 Osprey, 1 N.Harrier, 2
Sharp-shinned, 1 BROAD-WINGED, 2 Red-tailed, 1 Kestrel, 1 Merlin, 1 UA

>From the west, exit 404 from the 401, south to Bayly, east through Lakeridge
to the first Street (Hall's Rd.), south to the second roadside parking area.
>From the east, exit 410 from the 401, south to Victoria, west over to Hall's
Rd.

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW
www.pickeringnaturalists.org