[Ontbirds]Ottawa - Carolina Wren in Rothwell Heights again

Justin Peter jbpetr at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 19 18:44:04 EDT 2005

Hello ONTBIRD,

I had a Carolina Wren in my backyard today (106 Rothwell Drive) at the birdbath (12:15 p.m.) and next door at the neighbours' feeder.  This may or may not be the same bird that spent last winter here...its plumage is in rough shape and so would either be a juvenile or a bird in moult.  I have just heard it again - the call is like a rapid, high-pitched grey treefrog trill - at 6:30 p.m. in the neighbour's backyard.  It appears to be sticking within the block bordered by Rothwell Drive and Naskapi Drive.  Incidentaly, it seems to take great interest in the activities of other neighbourhood birds (goldfinches, white-throated sparrows and chickadees).

Good birding,

Justin Peter

>From the west - take Hwy 417 east to the Blair Rd. exit and go north on
Blair, then right (east) on Ogilvie Rd, cross Montreal Rd. and then turn
left on Naskapi Dr.  At second stop sign, turn left.  The bird in question hangs out in the backyards of the homes on the left.

>From the east - take the St. Joseph exit, go west on St. Joseph which
becomes Montreal Rd.  Turn right (north) on Ogilivie Rd. and proceed as
described.