[Ontbirds]Swainson's Hawk - Point Pelee

Sarah.Rupert at pc.gc.ca Sarah.Rupert at pc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 20 10:23:49 EDT 2005

Hi All

I took a spin through the onion fields on my way into work and was able to
locate one of the Swainson's Hawks this morning.  It was hanging around the
same spot as yesterday - on the east end of Mersea Road D (or Concession
D).  Where the road meets Mersea Road 19, there is an abandonned house and
barn - the bird was sitting on the barn when I went by this morning.  I
spent some time watching the bird later in the day yesterday and got to see
it catching grasshoppers on the road (very comical!).  It was up and flying
around quite a bit too - really amazing looks!

There were also Buff-breasted Sandpipers present in the onion field to the
east of Mersea Road 19 yesterday - at the far east end, though there were
lots of shorebirds moving in the field closer to the road this morning.

Good birding everyone!

Sarah

Mersea Road D is located approximately 1 km north of the entrance to Point
Pelee National Park.

Sarah Rupert
Sr. Park Interpreter- Interprète de parc principal
Education Coordinator - Coordonnatrice - Programmes éducatif
Point Pelee National Park of Canada
Parc national du Canada de la Pointe-Pelée
Leamington, Ontario
sarah.rupert at pc.gc.ca
519-322-5700 ext 13
fax 519-322-1678