[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, September 22nd, 2005

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 22 22:32:47 EDT 2005

At 10:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 22nd, 2005 this is the HNC Birding
Report:

FRANKLIN'S GULL
SABINE'S GULL
MARBLED GODWIT
CERULEAN WARBLER.

Red-necked Grebe
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Broad-winged Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Northern Harrier
Merlin
Osprey
Lesser Yellowlegs
Ruddy Turnstone
Parasitic Jaeger
Bonaparte's Gull
Great Horned Owl
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Barn Swallow
Common Raven
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Winter Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
American Pipit
Red-eyed Vireo
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Pine Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Vesper Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rusty Blackbird
Purple Finch

An exciting day in the HSA with the arrival of a FRANKLIN'S GULL today at
the Binbrook Dump.  The bird was spotted later this afternoon but then
disappeared perhaps travelling with other gulls out to the lake.  A check of
the lake was futile in the rain but I did it anyway.  Perhaps a check of the
dump tomorrow will be more productive.  I am waiting specifics on location
so anyone needing them, please email me privately.

Another goodie in the Hamilton Area found by the same lucky person this week
was a MARBLED GODWIT found at the end of the Willows in the Dundas Marsh.
The bird was a one day wonder, searching for this bird was also futile but I
did that too. The next day turned up very few shorebirds other than Lesser
Yellowlegs.  Other birds seen in the marsh were Great Egret, Great Blue
Heron, Osprey, Bonaparte's Gull, Barn Swallow, Eastern Phoebe, American
Pipit, a slough of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm Warbler, Northern
Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat and Swamp Sparrow.

Fifty Point C.A. was alive with birds last Saturday with again a variety of
warblers including Chestnut-sided, Black and White, Black-throated Blue,
Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Nashville, Tennessee Warbler, American
Redstart, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, House Wren, Red-eyed Vireo,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Swainson's Thrush, Gray-cheeked Thrush, many
White-throated Sparrows and a few Dark-eyed Juncos kicking about.

At the same time as I was at Fifty Point, down the road at Van Wagner's
Beach an incredible 27 SABINE'S GULLS were observed over a two hour period.
Also seen were Parasitic Jaegers.

Woodland Cemetery was a productive spot this past week.  Many species of
warblers, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Vesper Sparrow,
Clay-coloured Sparrow and a Great Horned Owl all reported in the week.

Shoreacres/Paletta Park and Shell Park were also good this week with a
variety of the same warblers as Fifty Point C.A. in addition to Scarlet
Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Hermit Thrush, Swainson's Thrush, Brown
Thrasher, Gray Catbird, Eastern Wood Pewee and Winter Wren.

In North Halton this week, a Common Raven was added to the yard list in
addition to Purple Finch and Pileated Woodpecker.  This region has also been
good for warblers with a female CERULEAN WARBLER being seen at the back of
Mountsberg C.A. last Thursday.

At LaSalle Park at the end of Waterdown Road in Burlington,  Ovenbird,
Pine-Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, Wood Thrush, Red-breasted  Nuthatch gave
some variety to the spots above.

Waterdown Wetlands Trail was an excellent spot for hawk migration with the
passage of a large flight of Broadwings, which included Osprey, Northern
Harrier and  several Sharp-shinned Hawks in the kettles.

Lots of fodder for the odds & sods department: a Merlin was spotted in
Dundas, two Ruddy Turnstones were seen on the breakwall at CCIW, a single
Chimney Swift was flying over Sherwood Forest Park, Green Heron seen at
Valley Inn, Rusty Blackbirds were seen at Bronte Marsh, another Great Horned
Owl visited Shell Park and Purple Finches visited a bird bath in the
Aldershot area for two days this week!

That's all for now, a bit windy this week!!!  Keep sending me reports good
birds are arriving all the time!

Good birding,

Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline