[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (24 Sep 2005) 425 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Sep 25 00:09:06 EDT 2005

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 24, 2005

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              60             82             82
Osprey                       5            303            303
Bald Eagle                  12            183            183
Northern Harrier            14            468            468
Sharp-shinned Hawk          64           5538           5538
Cooper's Hawk                6            137            137
Northern Goshawk             0              4              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          1              1              1
Broad-winged Hawk          204          34399          34399
Red-tailed Hawk             26            151            151
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            19           3315           3315
Merlin                       5            100            100
Peregrine Falcon             0             39             39
Unknown                      9             63             63

Total:                     425          44783          44783

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Su Ross-Redmond

Observers:        Barry Cherriere, Ches, Keith Sealy, Linda, Tom Bolohan

Weather:
Strong E winds with little cloud cover. Temp much cooler with a high of
just 20.

Raptor Observations:
Not a bad flight today on a tough wind.  Several Bald Eagles again today
along with a few Merlin but no Peregrines.  If the wind gets SW over the
next week or so we should see some good Peregrine numbers. :)  Had the
first Red-shouldered Hawk for the 2005 season.

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
Strong SW winds could mean a good flight of Peregrines and other falcons
alogn the edge of the Cliff itself...especially given this is nearly
Peregrine primetime!
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area