[Ontbirds]Sharp-t Sparrow, Whimbrel at Presqu'ile

Doug McRae rdmcrae at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 25 12:37:26 EDT 2005

Greetings all,

This morning Ron Tozer, Fred Helleiner and I birded Gull Island at
Presqu'ile.  There were quite a few sparrows (mostly W-thr, W-c,
Swamp, Song and Junco) in the tall lambs quarters that surround the
seasonal pond (near the east tip of Gull) including a very bright and
yellow looking Sharp-tailed Sparrow, which was initially located
because it sang twice.  Other birds of interest included a Whimbrel
still hanging in, 1 juv. Golden Plover, 1 singing Marsh Wren and
another wren that got away which was either this or Sedge Wren,
single Bay-breast and Blackpoll Warblers.  On the mainland at Owen
Pt. there was an Indigo Bunting and a juv Baird's Sandpiper.

We also noticed that Ontario Parks has just posted High Bluff Island
as closed to the public - even outside the nesting season.  There are
new duck hunting blinds there so I am not sure if they are allowing
hunters on but not birders.  This may relate to the finding that the
large dump of shot cormorants from their culling efforts has exceeded
the allowable limits for mercury, and now has to be removed from the
island.  Hopefully the park will clarify why birders are being
excluded from the island, and when it might be open again for public
visitation.

Cheers,

Doug McRae

Presqu'ile is located on Lake Ontario, just south of Brighton.  It is
well signed from either Hwy 401 or the former Hwy. 2.

Doug McRae
P.O. Box 3010
Brighton, Ontario
Canada K0K 1H0