[Ontbirds] 791 raptors -Sep.18-25 at Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch, Whitby

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 25 16:26:32 EDT 2005

The Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch in southwest Whitby, ON, has been in
operation since 1990. This year we started up on Aug.21; we try to cover
the platform every day through to Nov.30, particularly in the AM hours.

Lakeshore winds have rarely been out of the North-northwest--the
Broad-wingeds have
been taking the inland route over Iroquois Shoreline Raptor Watch.
The table below indicates the number of migrating raptors recorded for the
period of SEP.18 to SEP.25, and in BRACKETS is the TOTAL SINCE AUG.21.

TURKEY VULTURE            96 (182)
OSPREY                                23 (106)
BALD EAGLE                        7 (15)
NORTHERN HARRIER        4 (37)
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK    304(584)
COOPER'S HAWK                27 (47)
NORTHERN GOSHAWK       --(--)
BROAD-WINGED HAWK    95 (217)
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK    -- (--)
RED-TAILED HAWK              20 (43)
OUGH-LEGGED HAWK        -- (--)
GOLDEN EAGLE                        -- (--)
AMERICAN KESTREL             181 (399)
MERLIN                                    3 (17)
PEREGRINE FALCON              7 (9)
UNIDENTIFIED RAPTORS    21 (59)
 TOTAL                                    779 (1684)

Directions: From Toronto--east on the 401 into Ajax, exiting south on exit
404
(Salem Rd.), down to Bayly, left (east) along Bayly a few km., through
Lakeridge Rd., whereupon Bayly becomes Victoria St. in Whitby--- 1 block
east of Lakeridge turn south down Hall's Rd.; park in the second roadside
parking
area, just north of the lakefront; walk east down the path to the platform.

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW