[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (04 Oct 2005) 129 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Tue Oct 4 20:10:49 EDT 2005

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 04, 2005

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0            420            781
Osprey                       4             13            331
Bald Eagle                   2             12            214
Northern Harrier             5             16            509
Sharp-shinned Hawk          94            274           6266
Cooper's Hawk                5             16            168
Northern Goshawk             0              1              5
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              1
Broad-winged Hawk            1              2          34410
Red-tailed Hawk              4              9            178
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             6             28           3443
Merlin                       5             11            123
Peregrine Falcon             3             28             83
Unknown                      0              0             75

Total:                     129            830          46587

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Su Ross-Redmond

Observers:

Visitors:
Thanks to those visitors that were down at the Cliff today to help Su with
spotting the birds...believe me she really appreciates it...unfortunately,
she wasn't able to get everyone's name for the report. :)

Weather:
Weather was quite warm with a lot of cloud and heavy haze. Winds were light
to moderate from the SE.

Raptor Observations:
A good mix today but not a huge count.

Non-raptor Observations:

Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area