[Ontbirds]Dickcissel at Presqu'ile, High Bluff Island off limits

Doug McRae rdmcrae at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 5 13:30:32 EDT 2005

Hi Ontbirders,

I was birding at Presqu'ile from 7:00 to 9:00 this morning (5 Oct),
mostly along the old waterline behind the Beach parking lots.  The
best bird was a calling Dickcissel that was heading SW (more or less
toward Gull and High Bluff Island) overhead .  Other passerines were
well represented with 100's of Myrtle Warblers, small numbers of C.
Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler and 3 male BtBlue Warblers.  Also a
singing Red-eyed Vireo.  One thing that surprised me a bit was seeing
18 Purple Finch and 12 Siskin in several different encounters, which
is more than I have seen in recent months.  There were also several
Purple Finches on my feeder when I got home so perhaps a flight is
starting.  The beach was dead with only 2 Black-b Plover and a
handful of Ring-bills, Herrings and a few Bonaparte's Gull.

Also, further to Fred Helleiner's mention in his weekly report, High
Bluff Island is closed to birders (and all other non hunters) on all
days now until MNR remove the dead cormorants from their on-island
dump site, as ordered by MOE.  Interestingly it remains open for
hunting on the usual days (Mon.,Wed.,Fri.,Sat.).  The removal has
been ordered because the allowable level of MERCURY for their
dumpsite has been exceeded.  The mercury is from what is built up in
the birds themselves, indicating that there is still a lot of mercury
in the Great Lakes system.  If you want to read more about this, go
to the website for one of the local papers at
www.eastnorthumberland.com.  There are stories and editorials from
the past few weeks about this dump and an editorial about the unfair
nature of closing the island to all but hunters.

Directions:  Presqu'ile is on the Lake Ontario shore south of
Brighton, and is well signed from both Hwy. 401 and the former Hwy.
2.  The old water pipeline is the mowed north-south trail located
just east of the Beach parking lots.

Cheers,

Doug McRae
P.O. Box 3010