[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (06 Oct 2005) 157 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Oct 6 23:10:41 EDT 2005

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 06, 2005

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              49            469            830
Osprey                       5             21            339
Bald Eagle                   3             19            221
Northern Harrier             3             20            513
Sharp-shinned Hawk          54            376           6368
Cooper's Hawk                3             20            172
Northern Goshawk             0              1              5
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              1
Broad-winged Hawk            0              2          34410
Red-tailed Hawk              0              9            178
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            17             47           3462
Merlin                       7             21            133
Peregrine Falcon            16             49            104
Unknown                      0              0             75

Total:                     157           1054          46811

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Su Ross-Redmond

Observers:        Alf Ryder, Colin, Dave Sked, Keith Sealy, Tom T.

Visitors:
The usual suspects :)

Weather:
Moderate to strong SW winds today very little cloud cover and still quite
warm with temp to 24.  Not as hazy today.

Raptor Observations:
Another good SW wind for Peregrines with a total of 16 more to add to this
season's total. Also another 7 Merlins and 5 more Osprey.

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
Well...they're talking a pretty good chance for rain Friday but clearing
Friday night.  Then we could see a few days of N winds over the holiday
long weekend.  Prolonged N winds usually result in good flights at Hawk
Cliff.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area