[Ontbirds]Dickcissel in High Park

Glenn Coady glenn_coady at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:39:27 EDT 2005

Hello Ontbirds subscribers,

This morning resulted in a very nice passerine fallout in Toronto's High
Park. Among the highlights was an adult female Dickcissel which I found in
an oak savannah regeneration area between Bloor St. W. and Spring Rd. just
east of Colborne Lodge Dr./High Park Ave. It was feeding on the ground just
inside a large area of red fence near several old dead oaks. It was feeding
with a large group of White-crowned Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows.

The park was alive with Yelow-rumped Warblers (I counted an impressive 632
throughout the park), and other highlights included 33 Palm Warblers
(including 2 "Yellow" Palm Warblers - my first ever for High Park), 2
Black-throated Green Warblers, 1 male Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1
Ovenbird, 5 Orange-crowned Warblers, and 10 Fox Sparrows. There were also
many vigorously foraging Red-breasted Nuthatches around that apeared to be
migrants as well. I had a brief look at a sparrow that looked to be a good
candidate to be a Chipping Sparrow x Clay-colored Sparrow hybrid.

There was a very impressive flight of Turkey Vultures over the park all day,
with the High Park hawk watch recording its highest one-day total in their
history (the final total will be reported in their weekly report tomorrow).

High Park is found in Toronto's west end and is bordered by Bloor St. W. on
the north, the Queensway on the south, Ellis Park Rd./Ellis Avenue and
Grenadier Pond on the west, and Parkside Drive on the east.

to offer.
first two months FREE*.