[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (08 Oct 2005) 3226 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Oct 9 00:10:49 EDT 2005

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 08, 2005

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1827           2317           2678
Osprey                       0             26            344
Bald Eagle                  14             37            239
Northern Harrier            95            159            652
Sharp-shinned Hawk         880           1437           7429
Cooper's Hawk               68             95            247
Northern Goshawk             2              3              7
Red-shouldered Hawk         18             19             20
Broad-winged Hawk            7              9          34417
Red-tailed Hawk            137            146            315
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 1              1              1
American Kestrel           169            430           3845
Merlin                       5             41            153
Peregrine Falcon             2             56            111
Unknown                      1             16             91

Total:                    3226           4792          50549

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Ches, Colin, Keith Sealy, Su Ross-Redmond

Visitors:
Lots....including Randy and Deb Fowler and Marco and Donna DeBrun from the
KWFN. Also John Maybury, Bill Thompson, Cecil, Wayne and Dean.  It was
great to see Bruce Duncan out to help with his wife Janet and their
daughter who seemed to be a very keen birder! :)

Weather:
Well...we started with light rain first thing this morning but things
quickly dried up and a the cloud deck was up at a good height. Temp very
cool to start at 6 then to a high of only 13.

Raptor Observations:
Awesome flight today with a 2,837 raptors counted.  Highlights of the day
were the season's first Golden Eagle...a nice looking Juvenile bird that
did a powerdive across the sky and then circled out a few times before
contiuing westward.  Also got some nice low Red-shoulders...including a
few adult birds. Large movement of TV's and a good number of Redtails
seemed to be moving as well.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of warblers and other passerines at Hawk Cliff today...including
Black-throated Green, Cape May, Palm, Tennessee and just a pile of
Yellowrumps and several YB Sapsuckers.  OF note was a single Snow Goose in
with a flock of Canada Geese flying west along the shoreline.
Interestingly enough, this bird was seen earlier in the morning...and then
a Snow Goose was reported in the afternoon at Jack Miners at 4:00 PM...same
bird??? Who knows :)

Predictions:
Strong NE winds again for Sunday...and I see that both Cranberry and
Iroquois hawkwatches had a Golden Eagle today.  Let's hope they make their
way past Hawk Cliff tomorrow.  The day promises to start out much drier all
the way along both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario which should make for an
earlier and potentially even bigger flight than today.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area