[Ontbirds] HSR: SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark (09 Oct 2005) 45220 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Oct 9 21:10:02 EDT 2005

SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 09, 2005

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture           43280          51664          53179
Osprey                       1             18            226
Bald Eagle                   7             22            118
Northern Harrier            25             76            451
Sharp-shinned Hawk         338           1659           7339
Cooper's Hawk               74            175            352
Northern Goshawk            10             12             14
Red-shouldered Hawk        243            279            283
Broad-winged Hawk           11            102          91085
Red-tailed Hawk           1200           1383           1744
Rough-legged Hawk            6              9              9
Golden Eagle                 1              1              1
American Kestrel            20            154           1711
Merlin                       2              7             60
Peregrine Falcon             1             21             41
Unknown                      0              0              0
Swainson's Hawk              1              1             10

Total:                   45220          55583         156623

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Jeff Schultz

Observers:        Calvin Brennan, Charlene Borchers, Jeff Loughman

Weather:
Today was clear and sunny for the most part with only a bit of mid
afternoon cloud to provide a bit of a background. Winds were moderate to
fairly strong from the northeast.

Raptor Observations:
After a week of unseasonably warm weather and south winds, we were
reasonably assured that the first sunny day after the recent cold front
would bring many birds. We would not be disappointed. It became quite
apparent early in the day that we were in for a large movement of birds.
As it turned out, we had no clue as to how massive the push of birds would
be today. The Turkey Vulture flight started early and quite literally there
were hundreds in view somewhere in the sky at any given time during the
day, lasting until early evening. The resulting total obliterated the old
single day record of just over 12 thousand several times over! In fact,
the noon to 1 pm hour alone eclipsed that mark with a tally of 13,242
birds. Other highlights of the day were recording at least one individual
of all 16 regularly occurring species including our tenth Swainson’s Hawk
of the season and the first Golden Eagle of the fall. In all 45,220 birds
were recorded for the day of which 43,280 were represented by our record
TV flight.

Non-raptor Observations: