[Ontbirds]Spotted Towhee - Algonquin Park - Oct 30

Mark Cranford mark.cranford at ofo.ca
Tue Nov 1 21:03:54 EST 2005

I did not see this bird and unable find the photos below. The following was
received from "Theodore Smith" <imagelife at sympatico.ca> this evening (Nov
1), you must be subscribed to post on Ontbirds.  This is necessary to block
SPAM that no one wants to read.

Hello folks,

   On the evening of Sunday, October 30th I had the fortune of hearing,
then seeing a lone male spotted towhee in Algonquin Park. I could hear it
scratching at the leaf litter. Upon investigating I noticed the bird
pulling back the leaves searching for supper. It appeared that its beak was
a tad blunted. It was quite late in the evening, however I was able to
manage a few adequate photos at high ISO that clearly identify the bird.  A
few photos can be found on the Muskoka Bird Board under the post for the
spotted towhee  www.b2g3.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=MuskokaBirdBoard .
   The bird was spotted north of Hwy 60 in the area of the Sanitary Station
at approximately the 37 km mark in the Park.

Take care,

Ted

Theodore Smith Photography
Muskoka, ON