[Ontbirds]endangered species

Cathleen Crudden cathleen.crudden at chem.queensu.ca
Wed Nov 2 10:56:04 EST 2005

Dear fellow birders,
	I'm writing as a request with respect to a beautiful
wooded/field/marsh area that is being destroyed by some Kingston land
owners (Braebury homes) in advance of a Kingston By law which will
hopefully prevent clear cutting of land far in advance of
development.  This is exactly what these landowners (the aptly named
Frances and Peter Splinter) are doing.  They have already clear cut a
large swath of the 150 acres that they own and will likely continue
as Kingston doesn't seem to be able to stop them.
	As an avid birder, this type of habitat destruction is
horrible to see.  So I was wondering if anyone has ever birded this
property which stretches along Kingston Road (highway 2) between
Glenview and Rogers Side road on the north side.  And if so, if
anyone has seen any bird species that are at risk.  It seems to be
perfect habitat for something like Henslow's sparrow.....just hoping.
	I realize this isn't the purpose of the birds web site, but
have seen postings like this before and hope no-one minds.  Please
email me back if you have any sightings or advice.
--
	Sincerest regards,

		Cathy

Cathleen Crudden
Associate Professor and Queen's National Scholar
Queen's University
Department of Chemistry
90 Queen's Crescent
Kingston, Ontario