[Ontbirds]Cave Swallows - Hamlin Beach SP (New York)

Willie D'Anna & Betsy Potter dannapotter at wzrd.com
Thu Nov 3 18:47:22 EST 2005

The following was posted to Geneseebirds (Western NY) today, Thursday, by
Bob Spahn of Rochester, NY.  Hamlin Beach SP is roughly 60 miles east of the
Niagara River on Lake Ontario.

Willie D'Anna

Today was the first of several days of focussed Cave Swallow watch at the
Hamlin Beach SP lakewatch. Given the approach of a front from the SW with
strong winds, it was essentially a given that birds would pass in this
period. [Unfortunately, other appointments kept Sue and I away except for an
hour or so at the wrong time 10-11.]

Today 28 CAVE SWALLOWS passed the lake watch in 6 groups. The first

4 were at about 9:30 AM, the next 9 at about noon, then 5, 6, 2, and 2
between then and about 4:00 PM. ALL birds were passing East to West into
today's strong winds. In the past nearly all of our Cave Swallows have been
birds headed West to East. This suggests the possibility that tomorrow, with
the winds down a bit, the whole bunch plus possibly others may pass again
headed east. These birds generally fly past between the shelter and the edge
of the lake, so viewing is close range.

Obviously, birders to the west of Rochester should be thinking of (praying
for) the birds continuing west - Wilson, Old Ft. Niagara, ponts in Ontario,
etc.

Bob Spahn

Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter