[Ontbirds]Pomarine Jaeger, Franklin's Gull at Barrie on Lake Simcoe

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 3 20:26:00 EST 2005

Today we had a tremendous day watching 7 species of gulls and a very close
jaeger along Barrie's waterfront on Lake Simcoe. The feeding gulls are
close because huge schools of minnows (Emerald Shiners we think) are near
shore.

Best bird was a juvenile Pomarine Jaeger. Kevin McLaughlin of Hamilton
checked our photos and agreed that it is a Pomarine. The Pomarine was there
all day often as close as 20 metres. It floated on the water near shore
watching hundreds of Bonaparte's Gulls feast on minnows. Sometimes it
chased the Bonaparte's forcing them to drop minnows.

Our best gull was a first basic Franklin's Gull feeding with the
Bonaparte's and Little Gulls. It too was present all day. We saw at least
20 Little Gulls including 3 in first basic plumage. We also saw a juvenile
Iceland Gull.

To view photos of the Pomarine Jaeger, Franklin's Gull and Little Gulls
click on links below.

http://jeaniron.ca/2005/jaeger.htm

http://jeaniron.ca/Gulls/htmgulls/franklinsgullbarrie.htm

http://jeaniron.ca/Gulls/htmgulls/littlegullsbarrie.htm

Directions: From Highway 400 take the Essa Rd exit to Tiffin Ave. Turn
right on Tiffin and continue to the waterfront boat ramp. There's lots of
free parking.

Jean Iron & Ron Pittaway
Toronto & Minden, ON
www.jeaniron.ca